Saturday, June 20, 2009

Company's Coming

Living in a hundred plus year old house has many challenges.  It's big.  It's old.  And I haven't been around as much in the last few years so things need a lot of attention.  It doesn't help that I am that person you may have read about the goes into one room to do something, then sees something that belongs in another room, then gets to that room and sees something that needs done, then gets a phone call which leads to something else and on it goes all day long.  At the end of the day I have been very, very busy but not one full thing got accomplished.
Well, now company is coming.  While I don't particularly like clutter, I can easily overlook it.  But it matters a lot to me that guests not feel uncomfortable, so I am motivated to shape up.  One important agenda item was to clear the boxes that got shoved into the library in disarray and create an extra guest room.  I'm pleased to report that within hours - actually forcing myself to stay on task - a guest room is formed.  AND just a few adjustments and the second guest room will also be ready.  The third and most important one needs to be ready by Thursday.
I'm really happy that company is coming over the next few months.  For those of you who are natural homemakers it may seem odd but I'm finding a new pattern of thought for me.  It is one of functionality - how to use the space to work more naturally for me as well as comfortable for those who may wish to share it.  There's great creativity in that.  
Next, I think I need to keep company coming so I'm motivated to keep honing those creative skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment