Monday, November 19, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday.  It's purpose is simple, non-controversial, and has been saved from mass commercialization.  We get together with friends and family - share a great meal - and are reminded to be thankful.  Now that's a great ritual!
I've tried to make thankfulness a part of every day - to have a thankful heart - an attitude of gratitude.  Over the past several years it has gotten easier and easier to the point that it is generally a habit.  Now I am challenging myself to lead with gratitude in conflict and disappointment.  I'm not quite sure what that means or what it will look like but I know in conflict and disappointment, I'm not thankful.
It doesn't mean not acknowledging conflict and disappointment, it just means a different attitude while in it.
There is often another person on the other end of conflict and disappointment.  So, I'm thinking that the place is start is to remain mindful of what you can appreciate about the other person and even appreciate how the conflict or disappointment comes about.
I don't know how this challenge will play out but it seems like a new approach that will be meaningful.  So, while I give thanks this year for all that the past year has brought, I'm thankful for new challenges for the coming year.
I hope you have a great Thanksgiving!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment