Thursday, November 9, 2017

One Day - One Decision....

A day - one decision - can change things for better or worse. It depends on whether you are building a bridge or burning one. Building is better.
When life kicks me in the gut, I have one of two reactions. One is to curl up in a ball and hide. The other to is to do the Peanuts character Lucy reaction; "I'm mad as hell and somebody's gonna pay for this."
And then there's a third choice. Step away, step out of my comfort zone and do something for total strangers. Last week on a whim, I picked the third choice. On Thursday I learned that the Young Americans, coming to town on Sunday, were still in need of hosts for housing. So, without much thought, I emailed saying I could host a handful of young people.
Then I panicked! One room I needed had just been painted and was empty. The other room I needed was full of the stuff from that room and piles of "other" stuff thrown in. I needed to put the rooms together, make sure I knew where things were in the house, get food, plan breakfasts and two dinners AND would be required to be up about 6 am to cook and get them to the theatre in time. I am not fond of 6am unless I'm asleep. YIKES!!
It was exactly the mission I needed at a time I very much needed it. The three young men who came to stay were perfect gentlemen full of positive energy. They are nearing the end of a months long tour with a grueling schedule. They roll into town and start immediately with youth workshops teaching music and dance for area kids. They unload their truck and set the stage and do a second day of workshops. The next day they rehearse then do a high energy, wonderfully choreographed show that includes the kids in the second half. After merely hours of workshop time, they manage to prepare these local kids to help create a fantastic show.
Following the show, they pack up the truck, end the day late, and have just 8 hours to sleep before getting on the road to the next town where they will do it all over again. They do all this because once the Young Americans came to their town and they were in one of these workshops. They do it to inspire others to pursue music and performance.
While they expressed that they are looking forward to the upcoming break at the end of this tour, they quickly acknowledge that the experience has changed them. They find it hard to sit still. As they shared their visions for the future, I understood that the Young American experience has provide them with the confidence and discipline to accomplish whatever they pursue. They've traveled internationally and to many places in the US. They stayed in many homes and interacted with people from various walks of life. They know they have the power to touch hearts and minds.
I am thankful for decision number three. They touched my heart and set my mind in search of more positive outcomes. Thank you Young Americans.
Willie, Tyler, Christian

No comments:

Post a Comment