Wednesday, March 14, 2018

It's about fear...

What is conservative? What is liberal?
Long ago, as I have written about before, in a single day friends chastised me. "Don't try to convince me that you are a liberal, I know you are conservative at heart." Later that day a friend said, "Don't try to to convince me your are a conservative, I know you are a liberal at heart." Of course, most of you reading this will now say, "Good God, we all know you are a liberal!" The truth is that I am somewhat both. And so are you.
Having the great honor of working up close with a wide variety of people in leadership on boards, committees, organizations, political endeavors, I've witnessed heart. When we are faced with decisions to help someone, we do. When we know there is a need, we will. It does not matter if we are conservative or liberal. We do and we will. It's not liberal or conservative. There is a need and we do and we will.
What separates us is what we fear. When we see risk, we grow conservative. When we see little risk, we are liberal. If we want to bridge our divides, we need to address fears.

No comments:

Post a Comment