Thursday, June 7, 2018

Can you be my friend?

Social media is wonderful. It's a way to share and create connections, keep in touch and learn about one another.
And social media is horrible. Specifically, social media can be used horribly. It can be used to spread dis-information, create discord, and as a weapon against one another.
It's too easy to sit behind a keyboard and do harm. Would you say or do the same thing face to face?
Seeing people harshly criticize friends or family ON social media is shocking to me. Would you stand at a party full of people and say the same things? Do you think it reflects most poorly on the person you are targeting? To me, you are the person the most question. I note that I need to keep a distance from you.
The one use of Facebook in particular drives me crazy is - "de-friending". Really? Is that how you handle conflict? Is your "conflict" so great that you seriously intend to never talk with that person again. If you are using it - facebook - as a weapon, do you really think your stamp of approval is so very valuable?
The truest test of character is not in how you handle the easy things. The test is in how you handle the most difficult.
If you say something I disagree with, I will do what I would do at a party. I will move on. I will respond respectfully with an alternative view. Or I'll just smile and think about it. Sometimes what you say really makes me think differently. Rarely - very rarely - will I ever react with the feeling that I can never be in the same room with you again.
I will confess to two occasions where I actually "de-friended" a person. Both were due to cursing that was excessive. We had no personal dispute. We had no conflict. There was no direct reason. I simply did not like all their cursing and didn't want to be associated with their presence on social media. Both were people I expected to never see again and were not significantly connected to anyone I spend time with or wish to. And, indeed, I have never seen these two again and they are still not connected to anyone I spend time with or wish to. My guess and my expectation at the time, is that they never even noticed. I mattered little in their circle either.
I've witnessed some bizarre uses of social media and specifically "de-friending". The person will "de-friend" then later request to be friends. What is that? I've been "de-friended" then had the person send me a personal message asking for something. Really? It all feels like middle school drama to me.
This is not a social media problem. This is an emotional maturity problem. Mark this - if you "de-friend" me on social media, I won't accept a future request. It doesn't mean I won't still love you. It doesn't mean I will mis-treat you face to face. It just means if you want to deal with me - if I matter to you - let's do it face to face. I'm no longer sure you are stable enough to handle the use of a tool that allows you to do remote harm. I may even be praying that you don't own a gun.

No comments:

Post a Comment