Thursday, November 22, 2018

Town was closed today! Thank you.

Today was Thanksgiving day. Late morning I drove through downtown Franklin and marveled at the beauty of Liberty Street heading toward the courthouse with all the Christmas decorations. Then my attention was drawn to the fact that every downtown store and restaurant was close. And I was thankful!!! Owners, employees and their families were together today. Our town closes on Thanksgiving. You will see the same on Christmas. YEAH!!!!
There have been years I was traveling on those days to get home. I felt bad when I stopped for gas or paid the toll and realized that person was working instead of being home with their family. While in the Air Force, there was only one holiday spent with family and only because my sister happened to be in the same state at the time with a husband in the Army. It was painful at times.
So, today, I am thankful for perhaps an odd thing - town was closed today. Yes, there were a couple of gas stations open. One place was serving Thanksgiving dinner. Of course, the hotel was open. But everyone else paused for a day of giving thanks and time with family.
There is a slippery trend to start "Black Friday" early with large stores starting Thanksgiving eve or sooner. As a small business owner, I can understand the temptation to reach for opportunity where it may be but this small business owner will focus on a day of giving thanks and being with family. There is something worth much more than a dollar. And I will celebrate seeing a quiet street on family days as I imagine togetherness.

No comments:

Post a Comment