Sunday, February 2, 2020

Milestones and traditions build a great year.

Milestones and traditions are very important. Around Thanksgiving, I begin to reflect on all the things that have happened throughout the year and how this year is better. Yes, there are often losses as well, but I focus on what is better. It's fun to share with those around me. "Look how far we have come. Imagine what the next year will bring." Then, I begin to envision the next year.
Now in my autumn years, I so wish this had been my practice 40 years ago. Thinking about that makes me determined to plant the seed with those younger people around me. "Look how far you have come. Imagine what the next year will bring." It's ok to acknowledge the losses. Focus on what is better. Envision the place you want to be a year from now.
With that in mind, the place I want to be is less stressed. Not that now is bad but next year I see being better. How? And how does that happen? What stresses me? Perhaps more important is what gets me excited and gives me energy?
I'm most energized when a plan come together and exceeds expectations. When results are measurable, I love it more. When it's shared success, I love it even more. That tells me my focus for this year. Make a plan. Include measurable results. Share the plan with those around me who can share in the success.
As I share my plan with those around me, I am keen to hear their plans for the next year. That's where we find collaborative opportunity. Two, four, six, eight - Success multiplies and collaborators benefit in much greater sums than the individual components. The collaboration can be messy and challenging but stay focused on the opportunity and shared successes. Measure milestones and create traditions.
What is exciting me about 2020 is to know I am surrounded by inspired collaborators. I have a plan. It is measurable. I can share it with those trusted collaborators. Make your plan. If I can be part of it, share it with me. Let's celebrate a great year!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment