It can be terribly embarrassing and personally devastating to realize you have been taken in by a con artist. It happens every day to very smart people and often goes un-reported. If it is reported, law enforcement and the justice system are ill equipped to deal with it in small communities. Especially if it is someone you know who is scamming you - a sociopath who will lie to you and everyone around them to get what they want.
I like people. I trust people and I nearly always root for an underdog. If you are too, then please read on. You could, like me, be an easy target for a con artist. You need to know how to spot a sociopath. I've learned a lot about it in recent years. It's not a pleasant topic and I have followed the ultimate recommendation of what to do - Get as far away as possible from this person!!!! I will say proximity makes you a potential target or useful in gaining access to a new target. A sociopath uses whatever means, whomever possible, to get what they want. Proximity makes you complicit - that simple.
What are the characteristics of the type of sociopath I'm talking about?
1) Aggressive and Antagonistic in dealing with people
2) Manipulative and deceitful - lies about even simple things
3) Never feels guilty about anything
4) When confronted with a lie, creates confusion and distraction
5) Takes from you and gives back little
6) Often appeals to pity, pretending to be the victim
7) Does not take responsibility for harming others - blames everyone and everything else
8) Does not acknowledge others contributions - even taking credit for what others have done
9) Needs to dominate - to WIN
10) Takes advantage of others kindness
The con artist has had no verifiable income for many, many years. For some reason those things they claim to have had as income, don't bring them income now. Peter doesn't know what Paul just did to help to this person. The con artist will use many methods to ensure that Peter and Paul don't talk with each other.
You read all this because you suspect you are being taken. TRUST your instincts. Walk away and don't look back.