Monday, August 28, 2017

To be remembered this way...

How do you hope to be remembered? How are you remembered?
Every day we have opportunities to make a difference. It's there in front of us - every interaction we have. It could be that person looking lost a on the sidewalk. It could be the kid sitting alone in the cafeteria. It could be the elderly person you encounter who seems to want to chat. It could be the person looking into your storefront window and you just closed for the day.
When you take a moment to see those opportunities, it may just make the most difference with you. Take a moment. Slow down. See those around you.
Often I am TOO BUSY. The saddest words I often hear from friends dropping by the store or someone calling me on the phone are "I know you are busy, but..."
The sweetest thing that has happened in recent weeks is my sister has come to help at the store. Suddenly, I can visit a bit and then she becomes the hostess to carry on the welcome as I go back to those things that must be done. And I see visitors lingering longer. We have suddenly had a lot of new visitors. And I feel less stressed knowing and sharing in the atmosphere I always hoped would be part of the music store.
In other ways I'm feeling more able to connect and relax myself. Yesterday as one of my best friends and I were walking around the campground looking at our new sight, a new neighbor wanted to chat. The three of us sat and chatted a while. He was alone, enjoying a toasted marshmallow by the fire. We learned his wife of 56 years just died last January. He was cheerful and kind. We didn't stay long, but I know it was meaningful. It was meaningful for me and I will look for him next time.
Today, I had closed the store, walked to my truck a block away and realized I had forgotten something. So, I drove around to go back to the store. I discovered a nice couple looking in the store window. 'Would you like to come in? I forgot something.' They said, "Yes, for just a look around." I opened and turned on the lights. They were from Kentucky and often visit an aunt here. I told them about all the music happening now in town. They were pleased to have discovered the store and learn about all that is happening. I know we will both look forward to their next visit and I'm hopeful that they can experience the many musical events happening around town.
We all need to pay our bills and make a living. But we can't stop actually living. Living is about connections. Connections matter. I want to be remembered for the connections I make that make a difference in how a person feels. To care a little more, take a little more time, and to make a person feel welcome and valued - that's how I want to be remembered.

No comments:

Post a Comment