Tuesday, July 28, 2009

the path out

I love stories about one person making a difference.  I believe one person can make a difference!  It's hard to believe sometimes and I believe it's even harder to actually live it.  That's why we are touched by such stories.  They are far and few between or maybe they just aren't told enough.
Visit npr.org and hear this one - http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=101091931
A schizophrenic street musician is given new life by a caring man and those he convinces to join in bringing the gift of music back.
How many people walked passed this man for years, and missed this opportunity?  How many people would have met and overcome the many challenges faced?
Music is the universal language and can help us all overcome so very much.  It reaches our soul.  
I've kept a guitar nearby for more than 40 years.  When I was stationed in Greenland, my first mission was to purchase a Jumbo Yamaha and had it shipped to me there.  Carried that guitar across many miles and several continents.  Sold it to buy an Oscar Schmit.  Do wish I had kept every guitar I ever had.  Even the Kay electric that thrilled me that Christmas way back when.  But I have never believed much in having more than I would actually use at any given time.  I'm not so big a musician that I need more than one guitar at a time.  And I remember how excited the young men were who got the Yamaha and the Oscar Schmit.  Instruments are meant to be played and enjoyed.  Why have an instrument you do not actually play?  That makes no sense at all to me.  

And so I am pleased by a story of a talented musician being given a chance - given an instrument worthy of what they can play.

Today I do not have the Yamaha or the Oscar Schmit and await the return of my Martin.  Kind friends have ensured I have a guitar to play.  And so, Meanwhile, I will play what I have as Mr. Ayers did.  I will play because it is my soul.  I am not so gifted, but it is my heart and the gift I give to myself.  

No comments:

Post a Comment