Monday, April 20, 2009

Over a Mountain - Final Cut Pro

At NAB today and it's a milestone day.  Last year I was new to Final Cut Pro - took two certification classes and missed the test cut off by two points.  I got a 78 and needed at least an 80.  I used the software all year and came back to try again.  I took the class over and am very glad I did.  Final Cut is so robust and even using it a year, I haven't touched it's full power.  In addition to another handful of tricks and shortcuts to employ, I passed the certification test with a 90.7.  There are seven certification tests in total.  So, I've just begun.  I'll pick another to work on this year - perhaps level 2 or color correction.
Meanwhile, shorter workshops tomorrow.  There are so many choices.  One huge area is social networking.  
If National Association of Broadcasting (NAB) is new to you, this is the premiere worldwide show for radio, TV and general producers.  It's huge.  I'm hearing numbers are down 20% or so but it still appears to be near the 100,000 number.  It's always been one of the bigger conventions in town each year.  There are multiple tracks of training going on.  I stick close to the post production world conference but general conference sessions are open to all.  This is the first year I've noticed social networking as a topic and I see it popping up in every track - twitter, blogs, pod casts...
One serendipitous part of my trip at this time is the need to solve lighting issues for our underground (mining) videotaping and making contacts with photographers/videographers in China.  I noticed a big international trade table and meeting area today so I stopped.  "You're in the right place", the woman said as I explained my mission.  She will connect me with the head of the China delegation tomorrow.  She also expressed surprise that I videotape underground saying she had never met anyone who went into mines before.
I'm guessing the head of the China delegation will be surprised as well.  I hope he can help get me connected with the right people.
You know, I love my job.  And these kinds of missions are most interesting.  It's challenging but I can count my lucky stars to be working for a company and particularly a boss who understands how to maximize resources without frustrating them.  It's up to me to use the tool between my ears while they put me where I need to be to get the job done as well as providing the physical tools required to do it.  I've been around long enough to know this is a very special combination.
Today, I'm over the top about it all.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment